Friday, February 29, 2008

Great Quote

So Rick asked me to post on the blog today... I did, just not till later...

I have been reading through Stott's commentary on Romans and have found it to be immensely helpful in my study of that book. Notably, his insight into the general themes found in the book, topics that I can have trouble finding, have been particularly helpful.

I don't underline, highlight, or write in the margins of any books that I own. Until I ran across this passage in Stott's commentary. Here Stott is talking about Paul's use of the phrase "The righteousness of God" in Romans 1:16.

"It seems legitimate to affirm, therefore, that 'the righteousness of God' is God's righteous initiative in putting sinners right with himself, by bestowing on them a righteousness which is not their own but his. 'The righteousness of God' is God's just justification of the unjust, his righteous way of pronouncing the unrighteous righteous, in which he both demonstrates his righteousness and gives righteousness to us. He has done it through Christ, the righteous one, who died for the unrighteous, as Paul will explain later. And he does it by faith when we put our trust in him, and cry to him for mercy."


Be encouraged by this faithful proclamation of what the Gospel of Christ is, and means for us now.

No comments: