Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Ultimate Amnesia

There was one thing that was running around in my mind recently. It started as a nagging thought, but slowly turned itself into a convicting question.

Why is the most important thing in my life the same thing I so often forget?

I’m not referring to my cell phone charger. (Although yes I do forget it often.)

I’m talking about the Gospel – the simple fact that Christ died for my sins – and that such a death should transform my everyday life. That it should bring me joy in knowing God and in being set free from my slavery to sin. That I, as a child of God, am no longer seen as an object of wrath, but an object of love. And that he corrects me because he loves me.

I don’t usually see it in that light. There are many days where I kind of look up into the ceiling and say “Oh yeah, Jesus died for my sins.” Then I go back to doing whatever I want to do, paying attention only to the Things of Nathan. Nathan’s agenda. Nathan’s time. Nathan’s reputation. Nathan’s needs.

Milton Vincent, in his introduction to the book “The Gospel Primer”, writes,
God did not give us His gospel just so we could embrace it and be converted. Actually, He offers it to us every day as a gift that keeps on giving to us everything we need for life and godliness.
If such truth is so important, why don’t I remember it? Why don’t I dwell on it?
Since this question has come up in my mind (and that only through the grace of God), I’ve become more aware of several means of grace that can help me to grow in just remembering.

1. Memorizing scripture (especially passages that give an overview of Gospel truth)
2. A Gospel Primer by Milton Vincent – Short book. FULL of the good stuff ☺
3. Asking somebody to preach the Gospel to me

Guys, it’s so easy for us to throw around the words Gospel-centered and grace and cross and all those other phrases we can just pull out. But it’s seriously life-changing stuff! We need to keep discovering the many implications of the Gospel. And there are many.

Never forget it.

Why?

Because it is the most important thing.

________________________________________________________________

Many thanks to Nathan Lee for this post!

No comments: