Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Devotions, anyone?

So something that has been on my mind a lot lately is this:
I have been so aware of where I consistently fall short, and not so much on the grace of God to cover every one of those shortcomings. I am so grateful for this teaching series on Grace, because I need the reminder that Jesus paid it all, and that is all I need. In worship on Sunday, Dan Welch prophesied about our standing before Christ, and how we can come boldly before the throne of grace! We are not qualified by what we do for God, but by what He has done for us!

One thing I often struggle with is my devotions, and it can turn into a mentality of "what can I give to God?" rather than, "what has God already given to me?" The cycle goes like this: if I've had a devotion, I feel great! But if I don't, I feel as though I am somehow less deserving of God's grace. But God has recently been showing me that it is in my weaknesses that He is most glorified! His grace is not dependent on my faithfulness. I should not be condemned by my inability to pursue God, but rather rejoice in God's faithfulness to pursue me IN SPITE of my weakness!

This morning I read in 2 Corinthians 11:30:
"If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness."
Let me just tell you, that is not my attitude most of the time =) I want to boast about my successes, not my weaknesses. And that is why I also love 2 Corinthians 4:7:
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us."
We were never meant to glorify ourselves, we were meant to glorify God. We are those clay jars! Fragile and weak, and yet that is how God shows His all surpassing power! For the praise should go to God alone.

So as we eagerly pursue communion with God on a daily basis, let's remember that we don't do it because of any great strength in ourselves, we do it by the grace of God, and we do it because we are weak and need the help of our Savior! And I pray that I would become more content with weakness, so that I can run with everything that's in me to the strength that Jesus offers!

Sarah

4 comments:

Rick Healey said...

Sarah, great post. It's a good reminder even as we desire to pursue God, we bring little to the table. Grace truly is unmerited.

Anonymous said...

Whenever we think upon our sin, let us commit to know the cross in relationship to it. Both the severity of our sin, but even more so the grace we experience there.

all praise and glory be to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thanks for displaying that kind of humility in relationship to your devotion to Christ.

meg said...

sharpie-
gooood post. it is good to think about these things and be reminded of them. i hear thee greatly.
meg

meg said...

ha...i hear thee greatly, but i heart thee as well.