Wednesday, February 13, 2008

With Gifting Comes Resposibility

Over the past couple of days I have been reading a book entitled "The Making of a Leader," by Dr. J. Robert Clinton... not to be confused with those who lived in the white house... Anyways, one of the major themes of this book that has been impacting my life has been Dr. Clinton's emphasis on how God uses tests throughout our life to help to evaluate our integrity as Christian's, and help us to see where we need to grow.

As I began to think back on my own life and how God has given me the privilege of spending the entirety of my life (up till this point in Covenant Fellowship) in a church that keeps my focus on the cross I became overwhelmed with gratefulness. The Lord was working in my heart even as the heart of Alas and Did my Savior Bleed cries, "Dissolve my heart in thankfulness, and melt my eyes with tears!" All those trials, however painful, and all those blessings were being used to change me and set me apart so that I might glorify God all the more!

In these wonderful moments of spiritual closeness to God I can often times find myself content with merely dwelling in the feeling of the moment. However, I felt God's prick of conviction calling me to apply this view of gratefulness to my life.

Immediately, my mind was drawn to places that I tend to presume upon the Love of the Lord. I began thinking of the opportunities that God has given me in my past through conversations, leadership opportunities, and simple things like temptations to bend the truth. In all of these areas I often times haven't been dissolved in thankfulness of heart in my response. I need to view these events as blessings from the lord and callings to glorify God, rather then chores.

One specific area that I was challenged in is the area of music. I was reminded of how any talent that I have has come to me from God, and He calls for a response. Sadly, there are more times then I can count when I have wished that I could give up music. But this is just a fruit of my wayward heart. Something that I have been telling myself is that it is the Lords will that I want accomplished, not my own. In my life I am now called to use the portion of talent that has been allotted to me to Glorify God to the best of my ability.

And the same goes for you. When God foreknew you who are musically interested before you were born and allotted to you the musical gifting that you have he did not bestow this lightly. With gifting comes responsibility. If you love to sing, use it! If you love to critique music, seek to serve the worship band by giving them valuable feedback! If you love to worship (as you should), then worship with passion! For those of you who love to lead worship in small group settings, why not try to write worship songs, even if they are only for yours and the Lords benefit?

And for those of you who (Somehow) don't relate with anything that I have said, apply these things to a different area that you are interested in your life. God calls us to respond to Him in any opportunity or gifting that He gives us.

Now, do not get what I am NOT saying. Not everyone is called to serve on the worship team on Sunday morning (even if you are the next Rosella Washington!), but everyone has an obligation to pursue in wisdom the gifting that our Father has so generously given to us all to HIS glory! Our church is filled with people that serve heroically in the area of music, people like John Reilly and Caleb Komoroski come to mind... I could go on but Rick told me to keep this short and I'm failing miserably!

But, this doesn't mean that the rest of us just sit around and watch them serve. By no means! Let’s follow those who are older then us and seek to lay our gifting at the feet of the one who originally gave it to us. Lets seize the opportunities that God has given us to sanctify us into His image and seek to lead more effectively in the area's that God has given us. Let us follow Dr. Clinton's advice as he calls us to see these times of our lives as integrity checks that will reveal our true character. Or as Peter puts it in 1 Peter 1:6-7:
In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved with various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith- more precious then gold that perishes though it is tested by fire- may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Some steps to aid in your application of this are as follows:

1. Review your testimony. What are some times in the past that it is obvious that God was using to change you? How did you respond to these trials/blessings?

2. What are some of the area's that God has given you to serve/lead in? Where are you gifted?
      *Ask a friend that knows you well if you’re having                trouble finding areas.

3. Now that you have some areas identified, choose an area that you are going to:
     *include in your prayer times every morning.
     *bring a friend in on to keep you accountable.
     *plan to be proactive in for the next two weeks.


For me this means that I will apply myself to finishing a song I'm writing in the next two weeks.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

"4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift." Eph. 4

Isn't it good of God to give different people different giftings. Personally, lets just say, I am not musically inclined - so I am grateful that God has given specific grace to others that I do not have. And all this is for the good of the church and for his glory!

JMac said...

Thanks, Leo. Great stuff, especially convicting since I often struggle with finding joy in serving. I should instead be forever grateful that He has allowed me to serve, first (and most importantly) because He has saved me, and second because he has given me the talents and abilities to serve Him.